‘Beautiful views and wonderous roads around every corner’
The world-famous Norwegian Fjords are often featured in cruise brochures, but really appreciate the scenery up close, the most rewarding experience has to be seen from the comfort of your own car. Easily accessible from the coastal city of Bergen, the Fjordland area provides beautiful views and wonderous roads almost around every corner. The roads often hug the waters edge, marking the boundary between the sea and the mountains, or they wind up and over mountain passes to reveal snow covered plateau normally hidden from view.
A circular drive from Bergen can take you from the fruit orchards of the Hardangerfjord, across the deep Sognefjord and over the Gualerfjell mountains on your way north. The Fjordside town of Molde provides an amazing place to stop before taking to the succession of island-hopping bridges that make up the Atlantic Road.
The roads and views just get more spectacular as you ascend the impressive Trollstigen road that winds up the mountainside, to reveal the delights of the descent in to Geiranger on the other side. From Geiranger it is possible to take a day trip up to the Dalsnibba look out point, where you can feel on top of the world above the village far below.
The regular car ferries across the fjords provide moments to rest and enjoy the panoramic views that surround you, but be sure to make time to enjoy the Geirangerfjord ferry the cruises along the fjord taking in spectacular waterfalls, steep cliffs and isolated mountain villages along its route. On returning to Bergen don’t think that your holiday is over, as the along the old cobbled streets of the historic Brygge waterfront, local boutiques and museums can provide garments, gifts and stories to while away a fun few hours.
- Recommended as a 10 – 14 night holiday
- This far north the winter nights are long & the mountain passes close, so travel between April and September to make the most of the long daylight hours.
- Hardanger fruit orchards
- The bridges of the Atlantic Road
- The hairpin roads of the Trollstigen
- Enjoying the car-ferry along the stunning Geiranger Fjord
- Bergen’s historic harbour waterfront
Options to include:
- Return flights to Bergen International airport
- Comfortable car hire, perhaps an SUV to make the most of the views
- Fjord and lake-side hotels with magnificent evening sunsets
- Take a fjord cruise or a train excursion to see another side of the fjords